Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On 05/09/12 21:58, Fernando Lemos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On 05/09/12 21:37, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>>> ]] Philipp Kern

>>> This is something I'm pondering if we should handle in either a systemd
>>> trigger or a tool that packages shipping systemd files can call to tell
>>> the user about any changes.  (Basically a wrapper around ucf, probably.)
>>>
>> Why this arbitrary limit to only one application?
>>
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=3&chap=4
>>
>> Something along those lines makes life a lot easier and avoids these
>> schizophrenic hacks around package managers that don't respect files -
>> but it needs support in the package manager to work reliably.
> Are you aware of how ucf works?
Sorry, this discussion got a heavy rpm-slant because of the progeny of
systemd, and there these evil hackaround are needed. And the way this
was phrased I got side-tracked ...

So the proper way for everyone using a package manager would be to put
the unit files in the right place in /etc/ and not worry about this
confusion :)
>  I understand you love Gentoo, but we
> do have our own tools (that probably precede Gentoo's, actually). :-)
Yeah, just sometimes a bit hard to discover, and here we're mixing apt,
rpm and other things ... grmbl :)