Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Tue, 8 May 2012, Gergely Nagy wrote:
but sometimes it is necessary to do unusual things in init scripts to
properly intregrate a service into the system. How to deal with that?
Write shell wrappers that are executed from systemd?

If absolutely neccessary, that is an option. So is fixing the service to
play nice and be easy to start from systemd, which would be much more
preferable. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a case where this
latter wouldn't be the better option.

Apart from the fact that requirements will be different on different systems. Putting functionality for all possible corner cases into the daemon is not sensible for any upstream. And the integrator/packager may not want to learn all the funny languages that daemons can be written in (ocaml, haskell, java, ruby, ...). Besides, init scripts are conf files on Debian for good reasons.

For unusual, but not-horribly-complicated things, you might be able to
get away with ExecStartPre & ExecStartPost and similar. (I abuse these
to open a new VT, and attach gdb to the just started daemon - makes for
very easy debuggability, and would be a pain in the backside to do in
most sysvinit initscripts.)

Yes, that may be enough in most cases.