Re: Node.js and it's future in debian

Hi,

On Thu, 03 May 2012, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> This is from the linux-hams list where I asked about changing the name of node:
>
> "From my experience, many MANY Linux hams have customized scripts that
> startup some very elaborate HAM systems.  For many, these scripts
> weren't written by them and the changing of the node command could be
> very difficult for some.  The other aspect is if this change came into
> a package update that could impact production systems in VERY remote
> sites.  This could cause all kinds ugliness that can be easily
> avoided."

So to avoid disruptions, you rename the binary in the package and in the
"postinst configure <old-version>" which is run during upgrade, you add a
symlink from /usr/sbin/node to ax25-node and you display a prominent
warning explaining that the binary name has changed but that you left a
(non-packaged) symlink in the mean time.

For new installs, as opposed to upgrades, you obviously don't install the
compatibility symlink.

I really don't understand what's so complicated about all this. With a
clear note in README.Debian and NEWS.Debian, ham radio users will not
suffer.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer