Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

OoO Vers la  fin de l'après-midi du vendredi 27  avril 2012, vers 16:29,
Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com> disait :

> Apparently it can today ... with init scripts, which _new_ features will
> be brought in for the _boot_ process. udev takes care of the events,
> already today, right? More secure boot, faster boot (coreboot), better
> debugging, simple ways of logging the boot massages, etc? Don't talk
> about plug-and-p{r}ay, that is not interesting for _boot_: Found new
> hardware, eh?

But that's the whole point : new hardware pops up while booting. See for
example a server that will need  a 3G connection. The 3G connection will
be done  by some  classic USB key.  When the  USB key is  detected, udev
triggers a script  asking the USB key (which defaults  to a mass storage
device) to  switch to  "modem mode".   Once it becomes  a modem,  the 3G
connection  can be initialized.   Turning the  USB key  into a  modem is
taking   some  time.   The   USB  key   will  be   "disconnected",  then
"reconnected". SO, "found new  hardware".  ifupdown scripts were already
run and filed with "interface not found".

udev can run simple actions when a device appears but cannot run a chain
of dependencies  (start the  3G connection, run  some daemon  that needs
Internet  which in  turn  will trigger  some  client to  this daemon  to
run). The solution is an event-based init. We want a reliable boot.

We are in 2012 and if a non-essential daemon blocks the boot (no working
network), we have no way to get a getty to be run.
--
Vincent Bernat ☯ http://vincent.bernat.im

Don't stop at one bug.