Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 09:57 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 26 avril 2012 à 09:47 +0200, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :
> > > Unless you have radically modified things from the way the kernel works
> > > by default, a lot of things already happen on your servers when a usb
> > > device is inserted (the kernel notices the device and loads a driver,
> > > udev (if it's running and not modified) creates the relevant device
> > > nodes, etc).
> >
> > And udev does this jus fine, I don't need systemd or whatever else on
> > top of that.
>
> So you want to replace init scripts by udev scripts? This might work for
> part of the required functionality, but so far it looks like vaporware.

Init is about the boot of the computer, right? Who is stupid enough to
put in a usb stick _during_ the boot? We need to separate boot from
adding/removing peripheral devices!

- Either the usb is not there during the boot and when inserted can be
detected, by whatever software. Or you could teach the kernel about it's
presence, like adding an fstab entry.

- Alternately, the usb stick is inserted before the boot, and either it
does not necessarily have to be mounted, or you know it has to be
mounted, ant that can be prepared for in advance, e.g. by adding an
fstab entry. With this reasoning there is _no_ need for for an event
driven boot system, a dependency-based one is OK.

Additionally there is _no_ need to being able to add/remove peripheral
devices without the admin/user being aware of that, and for servers
nothing should happen as mentioned before. In summary, in practice,
there is real need for this M$ "plug and play" more known as "plug and
pray" or "plug and pay",