Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

]] Martin Wuertele

> * Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> [2012-04-27 09:53]:

> > > Then explain the _real_ reasons for having an event driven boot system!
> >
> > BECAUSE THE LINUX KERNEL IS EVENT DRIVEN.
>
> That's a reason for udev/mdev, however I still fail to see why this
> results in the requirement for an event based boot process.

A trivial example is $remote_fs isn't satisfied until /srv/somewhere is
mounted and /srv/somewhere comes off iscsi, which means it requires
networking to be up, which means network drivers loaded, etc.  So the
event «network driver loaded» causes ifup to be spawned, which causes
$network to be satisfied which causes the iscsi daemons to be started
which causes mount to be called.

--
Tollef Fog Heen