Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Friday, April 27, 2012 03:54:51, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 05:18:35AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > This is getting OT and a better question for debian-user, so this will
> > be my last post regarding this issue.
> >
> > On 27.04.2012 04:34, Chris Knadle wrote:
> > > AFAICT I really want the 'quiet' linux command line parameter, and to
> > > reconfigure the console output of systemd somehow.
> >
> > man 1 systemd :
> >
> > Try adding "systemd.show_status=true systemd.sysv_console=true" to your
> > kernel command line. This is basically having the same effect for
> > systemd as removing the "quiet" kernel command line option.
>
> Is this the default?

?  I'm having trouble figuring out what it would mean if I answered "no".

> Or do we need an additional "silent" option so that systemd can behave
> similarly to the existing stuff when passed the "quiet" option?
>
> Roger

I don't think a 'silent' option is required.

Grub defaults to passing 'quiet' to the kernel, and no systemd options.
Installing the systemd package does not change the options passed to the
kernel, and AFAIK cannot for Policy reasons.

When the 'quiet' option is passed to the kernel, systemd picks this up and
sets systemd.show_status=false and systemd.sysv_console=false.  [The default
for both of these is 'true' if the 'quiet' option is not present.]  The result
is that no daemon startup messages are sent to the console during bootup when
the 'quiet' option is used, unless these settings are chagned via passing the
additional kernel boot options described in the previous email above *after*
the 'quiet' option.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle