Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:40:43PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 22:20 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > [Svante Signell]
> ..
> > Say you want to mount a network disk during boot.  This depend on the
> > network being configured.  This in turn might depend on a DHCP reply
> > from a DHCP server, and to send the DHCP request the network card need
> > to be detected.  To detect the network card, the network driver need
> > to be loaded, and the network card need to be found on the PCI or some
> > other internal bus.  And with the Linux kernel today, there is no way
> > to know when during boot the network card will be found on the bus.
>
> This is the whole cause of the problem: You don't know the names of your
> devices ay longer. Blame Linus!

Blame the hardware manufacturers for implementing plug-and-play.  Why
did they make it easy to add peripherals?  Configuring IRQs and
addresses and linking the right drivers really filtered out the lusers
who shouldn't use computers.

> What's the point of changing names of peripheral devices "dynamically"?
> I've been struggling with eth0 and eth1 for some rime now, never knowing
> how it will be named for every new kernel :-(

Clearly we should enumerate and initialise all hardware in serial, so
you have more time to admire the boot process.

Or, you know, use udev and let it take care of persistent naming.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus