Re: debian-multimedia.org considered harmful

On Friday, March 16, 2012 16:30:35, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 03/17/2012 03:16 AM, Chris Knadle wrote:
> > On Friday, March 16, 2012 13:13:30, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> >> Resampling could be termed a derivative work, not a backup copy since
> >> you are throwing away information contained in the original.
> >
> > That may be, but some source media is > 8 GB such that a direct copy
> > cannot be made onto even a dual-layer DVD, so resampling is the only
> > option if a "backup" (as far as the layman is concerned) is to be made.
> > That this procedure becomes a derivative work simply illustrates one of
> > the areas where d.o and d-m.o philosophically diverge even though both
> > share common ground in trying to support a universal operating system.
>
> I thought that there was some writable DVD 9 available
> on the market. Did I dream?

Not positive, but that might just be marketing.  8 GiB = 8.6 GB

> Also, why not writing the DVD image on your HDD?

Yes, although that defeats the purpose of making a backup to DVD media.

> P.S: You can buy DVDs on the street for 0.5 EUR here, which is
> a major contribution to the film industry... :)
> I'd be a useless loss of time to do backups of these.

I find it nice to be able to make and use a backup copy of DVDs I own and care
about (and which aren't cheap), use only the copy, then when the copy wears
out, make another copy from the original.  This allows things like handing the
DVD to a child, knowing that the child will very likely scratch it up, and not
needing to worry.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle