Re: debian-multimedia.org considered harmful

On Friday, March 16, 2012 13:13:30, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:20:22PM -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> > >
> > > You don't need decss to make a backup copy of a DVD.  All you have to
> > > do is a block copy of the media.  That is just one of the reasons the
> > > arguments against decss are/were less than intelligent.
> >
> > That depends on whether the DVD will fit onto the media its to be burnt
> > to. If the DVD needs to be resampled in order to get it to fit onto the
> > burnt media, then you need to be able to decypher it to be able to do
> > that.
>
> Resampling could be termed a derivative work, not a backup copy since you
> are throwing away information contained in the original.

That may be, but some source media is > 8 GB such that a direct copy cannot be
made onto even a dual-layer DVD, so resampling is the only option if a
"backup" (as far as the layman is concerned) is to be made.  That this
procedure becomes a derivative work simply illustrates one of the areas where
d.o and d-m.o philosophically diverge even though both share common ground in
trying to support a universal operating system.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us