Re: debian-multimedia.org considered harmful

On 03/17/2012 05:15 AM, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 04:30:35AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> Also, why not writing the DVD image on your HDD?
>>
> How'd you loan that to a friend?

Are you sure you can lend *a copy* to a friend?

> What exactly are you arguing: that someone should never need to resample a DVD?

I'm arguing that you may *want* to do it, it might be
*convenient*, but you don't have the rights to do it
in many countries.

I'd be great to hear a French lawyer about down-sampling
(in France, the law allows you to make backups of things
you own, like software or music). But what's for sure is that
in USA or UK, you'd be breaking the DMCA.

Now, I agree that the situation is crap, but in this case, you
should complain to the law makers and to the film industry,
not to Debian, which is also a collateral victim here.

Thomas