Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

Le samedi 24 décembre 2011 à 19:03 +0800, Paul Wise a écrit :
> Apparently the reason is simply that our upstreams (who it sounds like
> are predominantly driven by Redhat folks) are dropping support for /
> and /usr on different partitions and that re-adding that support or
> maintaining the existing support is too much work for the Debian
> maintainers involved. At least that is what started the thread. Things
> like this is why getting involved upstream is important for Debian
> maintainers and probably why items 2 and 4 exist in our social contract.
> I would encourage those who care about this issue to start getting
> involved in the relevant places and submitting patches. It sounds like
> the ability to run a system with split / and /usr is *very* likely to
> disappear unless people who care decide to work in it.

If you don’t care to read the key messages this thread is about, you
should stop contributing to the discussion, otherwise this sounds like
FUD.

For those who can’t read: Marco’s proposal is not to drop support for
split /usr, it is to actually re-add support for it, but through the
initramfs. The only systems that will be screwed up are those with
split /usr *and* no initramfs. Which is pretty uncommon.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :