Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Sat, 2011-12-24 at 10:25 +0000, Philip Hands wrote:

> BTW do we have debian-live for ARM?  How abut GRML for ARM?

Neither produces ARM live images AFAICT.

> I'd still like to know what the compelling reason for the change is
> though.

Apparently the reason is simply that our upstreams (who it sounds like
are predominantly driven by Redhat folks) are dropping support for /
and /usr on different partitions and that re-adding that support or
maintaining the existing support is too much work for the Debian
maintainers involved. At least that is what started the thread. Things
like this is why getting involved upstream is important for Debian
maintainers and probably why items 2 and 4 exist in our social contract.
I would encourage those who care about this issue to start getting
involved in the relevant places and submitting patches. It sounds like
the ability to run a system with split / and /usr is *very* likely to
disappear unless people who care decide to work in it.

PS: I'm subscribed, no need for a CC.

--
bye,
pabs