Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 10:17:49 +0800, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 3:05 AM, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>

> > Maybe there is some misunderstanding here. I think nobody has suggested
> > to build a rescue initramfs on the users system tailor made for the
> > system.
>
> We already have debirf for that.
>
> > I think the idea was for a ready made all purpose live image like grml
> > or the DI images.
>
> We already have something similar:
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.3-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-6.0.3-amd64-rescue.iso
>
> Dunno how it compares to grml.

I've generally been relatively generous with my allocation of space for
/boot, so that would probably been fine for me, but others in this
discussion were saying that they'd have to resize partitions to deploy
even an initramfs, so suggesting a solution that requires them to stick
a live image on their /boot still forces a repartition on them.

I have almost no machines that are not RAIDed in some way (apart from
my laptop) so I can even repartition most systems relatively painlessly
if I'm willing to risk de-RAIDing them briefly.

BTW do we have debian-live for ARM?  How abut GRML for ARM?

Of course, the ARM boxes I've been working on recently are all
auto-installed, and configured with cfengine, so I doubt I'd ever bother
trying to rescue them unless I was informed that some fool had put
unique data on the disk in one, without backing it up.  Also, if I was
expecting to have to rescue them, I'd just install another copy of
Debian on the built in flash, so there's no need for a live CD, but I
still don't like losing the option of rescuing using the traditional
method, so I'll be shifting to having / and /usr on a simple partition
if we adopt this change.

I'd still like to know what the compelling reason for the change is
though.

Cheers, Phil.