Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:50:02 +0100, md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) wrote:
> The problem is that on production systems one quite often never gets
> given the chance to test if the rescue system still works, so I ended up

That is a major flaw. Testing error scenarious is a major quality
control feature. Just like testing if backups can actually be restored.

> abandoning the use of mondo because it happened to me often enough that
> the hardware had been replaced under the OS, and some change that was
> required to support the new hardware didn't make it into the rescue
> images.
>
> I'd imagine the same is true of a rescue initramfs -- and I'm still not

Maybe there is some misunderstanding here. I think nobody has suggested
to build a rescue initramfs on the users system tailor made for the
system.

I think the idea was for a ready made all purpose live image like grml
or the DI images.

MfG
        Goswin