On 2011-04-28, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> Might be, except that I don't want to keep the name "testing" due
> to its connotation that doesn't reflect well the goal of something
> that's constantly usable.

Oh it is mostly constantly usable.  Yes, sometimes an arch has to suffer but I
don't think it would be any easier in a "rolling" suite given that the
procedures won't really be changed.

People aren't complaining that testing isn't usable but that it isn't current
enough.  At least that's how I saw the complaints at the CUT BOF.

As said forcing is rarely used.  It's still the tool to get the next release
done, as Adam said.  Those two goals, given that the next release ought to
be usable, aren't conflicting that much.  Freezing testing and having
current software in unstable and testing are conflicting somewhat with the
current tools, though.

(And indeed it's about getting the old frozen back and uploading there
directly.  And regarding your "I'd help with transitions", we'd also need
people who do the uploads to release p-u together with casing the builds for
it.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern