On 2011-04-27, sean finney <seanius@debian.org> wrote:
>  * unstable always feeds to testing
>  * "release N" == "testing", until the "freeze".
>  * when "freezing" for "release N"
>    * "testing" is pointed at "release N+1", and no longer automatically
>      feeds "release N".
[...]
>    * RM's can still choose to migrate packages from (not frozen) testing as
>      long as it's practical to do so.
>    * When deps/transitions/etc prevent testing migration, "release N
>      proposed updates" is used for one-off bin-NMU's and/or sourceful backports.

So this requires people to coordinate and finish transitions in parallel to a
massive load of patch review.  And even better we can't even cherry-pick from
unstable or testing anymore because it got broken through transitions.  binNMUs
are even more fun because then your version in release N proposed updates
is higher than what's in new testing, which means that it should be propagated
from p-u to testing which breaks because it would miss the libraries for which
it got binNMUed in the first place.  Which means in turn that you need to
binNMU into release N p-u and binNMU again with a higher version into testing.

The whole thing only seems doable if you add a *lot* more people to the
relevant points in the process.  (And yes, new testing would require transition
hand-holding from unstable to it as usual.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern