Re: network-manager as default? No! (was: Bits from the Release Team - Kicking off Wheezy)

On 06 Apr 09:10, Andrew O. Shadoura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 07:29:05 +0200
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Your limited knowledge is like jam. The less you have, the more you
> > spread it.
>
> Well, you have just confirmed this statement.
>
> > What you actually like about ifupdown is that it cannot do anything
> > but extremely trivial setups. Then you can stack all soft of stuff on
> > top of it, and get them to work manually for your specific setup, and
> > since it’s not event-based you have to hard-code the way your network
> > is set up.
>
> Maybe you just don't know how to 'cook' it properly?

(NOTE: Not an endorsement of n-m in anyways, but...)

Everything that you can do with ifupdown you can do with network
manager, which will also happily trigger the ifupdown pre/post scripts
if you enable that plugin.

Personally, I'm very happy with ifupdown on my laptop, and there's some
truly odd networking at times on here... and on the work laptop, so far
n-m has been ok (I'm giving it a chance to not explode, and I don't need
that one to have networking if I'm not logged in to it).

Cheers,
--
Brett Parker                     http://www.sommitrealweird.co.uk/
PGP Fingerprint 1A9E C066 EDEE 6746 36CB  BD7F 479E C24F 95C7 1D61