Re: network-manager as default? No! (was: Bits from the Release Team - Kicking off Wheezy)

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 11:17:59PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello Stanislav Maslovski,
>
> Am 2011-04-04 01:11:15, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
> > On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 11:26:20PM +0530, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > > May I suggest that you install a squeeze system with the desktop task,
> > > with a simple DHCP network configuration?
> > Why on earth would I do that? It does not match my needs at all. For
> > instance, this laptop sometimes connects to a couple of remote LANs
> > through VPNs, so that I have to set up routing in a not completely
> > trivial manner. On another site where I sometimes work, there is an
> > IPX network to which I have to connect to access the fileserver.
> > Occasionaly, I have to run another OS in a virtual machine on this
> > laptop for which I set up a bridge, etc.
>
> And HOW MANY users have such special case?  I have in Strasburg and  its
> Region 37 customers and do not need such killer config.

Well, that is not the question of how many, that is the question of
can you do a given task or not with a given tool. NM is limited in all
possible ways I can imagine, and also buggy. On the contrary, with
ifupdown, one for sure can do things that I even cannot imagine due to
my limited knowledge.

Feel the difference ;)

--
Stanislav