Re: devel files and libraries in /lib

On 2011-01-04 18:34 +0100, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 04:47:28PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>> It is not possible to do the switch on upgrades anyway, at least not
>> while every package ships files under /usr.  You can only do that when
>> there are no packages installed that have files under /usr.
>
> I don't agree.  dpkg doesn't need to care that /usr/lib/libm.so really
> unpacks to /lib/libm.so due to /usr -> / symlink, *except* for the case
> where the same path exists under both / and /usr; and that can be forbidden
> by policy.  It won't be directly enforceable by dpkg, but I wouldn't be too
> worried about the resulting bug count since creating your own symlinks here
> is an oddball thing to do in the first place.

Maybe we're talking at cross-purposes here; I was speaking about the
case of turning a directory into a symlink on upgrades, which cannot
safely be done while there are still files under it.

Thinking more about it, this cannot be done even if all packages move
their files away from /usr, since an unknown amount of stuff exists
under /usr/local, so /usr can ever only be made a symlink to / for new
installs (or by the sysadmin).

Sven