Re: devel files and libraries in /lib

Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
>> I don't think there's much room for argument at all, the FHS definition of
>> /lib is pretty clear. :)

>> Yes, this does cause problems for autotools and the like when it
>> comes time to install, since this FHS-mandated split between
>> /usr/lib and /lib isn't directly supported by automake.  A burden
>> we must bear, unless someone wants to fix automake.

> What's the problem with fixing automake?

Hello,

in a nutshell: I doubt anybody who has the knowledge to fix it cares,
and there is more to it than a
--with-stuff-usually-in-libdir-but-we-want-it-below-urs=/usr/lib.
Installing it there is simple, making use of the installed files is not.

Have you ever written a pkgconfig file that properly handles the use case
where the static library lives lives in a different directory than the
dynamic one? (And don't limit yourself to directories in the linker
search path.)

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'