Re: devel files and libraries in /lib

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 06:34:30PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sat, Jan  1, 2011 at 17:11:17 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:

> > Afaicr I've never seen this documentented somewhere to do it this way and I'm
> > wondering if this is indeed the agreed upon best practice and if we should
> > document it somehow (policy, devref, whatever).

> Yes.  Arguably it's covered under
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#LIBESSENTIALSHAREDLIBRARIESANDKERN

I don't think there's much room for argument at all, the FHS definition of
/lib is pretty clear. :)

Yes, this does cause problems for autotools and the like when it comes time
to install, since this FHS-mandated split between /usr/lib and /lib isn't
directly supported by automake.  A burden we must bear, unless someone wants
to fix automake.