Re: devel files and libraries in /lib

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 10:33:21PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Andreas Metzler
> <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:
> >> What's the problem with fixing automake?
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > in a nutshell: I doubt anybody who has the knowledge to fix it cares,
> > and there is more to it than a
> > --with-stuff-usually-in-libdir-but-we-want-it-below-urs=/usr/lib.
> > Installing it there is simple, making use of the installed files is not.
> >
> > Have you ever written a pkgconfig file that properly handles the use case
> > where the static library lives lives in a different directory than the
> > dynamic one? (And don't limit yourself to directories in the linker
> > search path.)
>
> I've never used pkgconfig. But if it doesn't support it, it too should be fixed.

To be fair to pkg-config, it's kind of an unusual requirement.  Possibly
even a broken requirement.

An alternative strategy to consider for the future: drop /usr entirely
and place all libraries in /lib [as done on GNU/Hurd].  On current
systems using initramfs the need for a separate / and /usr is gone.
IMHO, there are nowadays few (if any) compelling reasons for having a
separate /usr, and hence for having /usr at all other than as a
compatibility symlink to /.  Have we actually got any reasons for
keeping it?

Regards,
Roger

--