Re: Two groups of users, one distro in the middle

On Tue, 2011-11-15 at 13:34, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Charles Plessy writes ("Re: Two groups of users, one distro in the middle"):
> > I agree.  One possiblity when packages A and B conflict for a program name
> > would be to rename, but in addition to provide a wrapper that executes the
> > program from A when only A is installed, from B when only B is installed, and
> > that gives an error reporting alternative path names when both A and B are
> > installed.  The wrappers for all names could be provided by a third package.
>
> I don't think this ia a good idea.  The result would be that
> installing an additional package could break the operation of
> an unrelated package.
>
> If users desperately want to do this themselves there is no reason why
> they shouldn't symlink /usr/bin/node -> nodejs themselves - apart
> from, of course, the reasons why they shouldn't.
>
> But we should absolutely not support it.  I have no sympathy at all
> for nodejs upstream on this matter.

As a user/admin I fully agree with you. Debian policy should be changed
to state something like "First come, first served". Principle of least
surprise.

ax25 packages are in Debian for more than ten years, IIRC.

What to do if someone create {some}script language and call it 'cat' and
refuse to rename it because s/he like cats. ;-)

--
Kind regards,  Milan
Arvanta, IT Security        http://www.arvanta.net