Re: Two groups of users, one distro in the middle

Le Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 08:48:57AM +0800, Paul Wise a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:14 AM, Alex Pennace wrote:
>
> > Even without that point, the conclusion remains the same: Both
> > projects should endure the rename (unless one concedes), and that
> > shouldn't be viewed in terms of "look at what those meanies in Debian
> > are making us do" but instead regarded as a natural outcome of the
> > choices each project made at various times.
>
> I personally wonder if we should change our policy instead of forcing
> these two upstream communities into conflict.

I agree.  One possiblity when packages A and B conflict for a program name
would be to rename, but in addition to provide a wrapper that executes the
program from A when only A is installed, from B when only B is installed, and
that gives an error reporting alternative path names when both A and B are
installed.  The wrappers for all names could be provided by a third package.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan