Re: Two groups of users, one distro in the middle

Charles Plessy writes ("Re: Two groups of users, one distro in the middle"):
> I agree.  One possiblity when packages A and B conflict for a program name
> would be to rename, but in addition to provide a wrapper that executes the
> program from A when only A is installed, from B when only B is installed, and
> that gives an error reporting alternative path names when both A and B are
> installed.  The wrappers for all names could be provided by a third package.

I don't think this ia a good idea.  The result would be that
installing an additional package could break the operation of
an unrelated package.

If users desperately want to do this themselves there is no reason why
they shouldn't symlink /usr/bin/node -> nodejs themselves - apart
from, of course, the reasons why they shouldn't.

But we should absolutely not support it.  I have no sympathy at all
for nodejs upstream on this matter.

Ian.