Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 07:41:54AM +0100, Andrew Shadura wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:14:18 +0100
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> > This is getting insane. Please learn how to use madvise and
> > posix_fadvise and let the kernel deal with paging. The kernel knows
> > everything about the underlying hardware; the application does not.
>
> And what about the software being cross-platform? What about other
> systems which don't have such system calls? Also, the application
> doesn't need to know anything about the hardware except that disk
> memory is usually larger and slower than RAM is.

madvise():
# _BSD_SOURCE
# CONFORMING TO
#        POSIX.1b.

posix_fadvise():
# CONFORMING TO
#        POSIX.1-2001.

I'd call functions that are required by a not-so-recent version of POSIX
pretty portable.  What do you want to be cross-platform to then?  win32?
If so, you need a portability layer for anything fancier than "Hello world"
anyway.

--
1KB		// Yo momma uses IPv4!