Re: A debian/rules target to rebuild pre-built stuff?

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> While I like the idea of rebuilding everything from scratch, adding
>> Makefile rules to do so is horrible.  Automake bungles this miserably
>> and it produces all sorts of random unnecessary bugs.  With my upstream
>> hat on, I will *always* use AM_MAINTAINER_MODE.  I'm happy to
>> explicitly call autogen during the build process, but I will not use
>> that misfeature.

> Do you also delete the rules about .o files and manually run GCC
> instead of running make?

No, because those rules work, are the point of the software rather than an
ancillary and much less-tested feature, aren't frequently buggy, and don't
have a history of causing problems.

Anyway, this discussion irrelevant to your goal, since not using
AM_MAINTAINER_MODE still won't guarantee rebuilding of those files by
default.  It only tries to add rules to rebuild them if what it guesses
are the source files have changed.  So there's really no point in having
the argument, and I'm not invested in convincing other people to do what I
do.  I'm just disgreeing with the message to which I replied, and will be
continuing to use AM_MAINTAINER_MODE in my packages.

In order to force the Debian package to rebuild those files as part of the
package build process, one should instead run autoreconf or whatever
maintainer-provided script does the equivalent, which has the desired
semantics of rebuilding those files unconditionally.