Re: A debian/rules target to rebuild pre-built stuff?

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:22:05AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > The results of that build seem unlikely to ever be seriously tested
> > currently, which makes me a little dubious that it's worth making a rule
> > about it.
>
> I would wager that majority of such results would be tested during the
> build process.

There is no way to test firmware, images, PDFs, etc.

> > Or, put another way, I'm not sure that this is substantially
> > less controversial than just requiring debian/rules build rebuild
> > everything from source.
>
> That seems unlikely given that there are many many packages using
> autotools-based build systems.

If they use AM_MAINTAINER_MODE and it's "disabled" [1], there's no way to
check if they aren't in DFSG and/or GPL violation by shipping sourceless
code.  Forbidding it would at least deal with patching autotools output
rather than source.

I don't get why, when everything else has to be built from source,
AM_MAINTAINER_MODE gets an exemption.

Gnome's stance:
http://blogs.gnome.org/desrt/2011/09/08/am_maintainer_mode-is-not-cool/
GNU's and the inventor of AM_MAINTAINER_MODE's stance:
http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/automake/maintainer_002dmode.html

[1]. The naming is pretty misleading, it should be called
AM_DISABLE_MAINTAINER_MODE.  It goes:

* without:                                        ok
* AM_MAINTAINER_MODE, --disable-maintainer-mode:  sourceless code
* AM_MAINTAINER_MODE, --enable-maintainer-mode:   ok

--
1KB		// Yo momma uses IPv4!