A debian/rules target to rebuild pre-built stuff?

Hi all,

Since Debian does not require everything to be built from source (such
as autotools build systems, firmware and so on), would it be a good
idea to codify in policy that every package shipping files not built
from source should have a way to completely rebuild everything from
source? In this way we can find out whether or not the tools used to
build such files are still working as expected.

I am thinking this particular bikeshed should have
Build-Depends-Rebuild and debian/rules rebuild inside it.

If there is consensus on this issue then I will file a request on
policy to get this added to the next version.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise