Re: A debian/rules target to rebuild pre-built stuff?

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> Since Debian does not require everything to be built from source (such
> as autotools build systems, firmware and so on), would it be a good idea
> to codify in policy that every package shipping files not built from
> source should have a way to completely rebuild everything from source?
> In this way we can find out whether or not the tools used to build such
> files are still working as expected.

The results of that build seem unlikely to ever be seriously tested
currently, which makes me a little dubious that it's worth making a rule
about it.  Or, put another way, I'm not sure that this is substantially
less controversial than just requiring debian/rules build rebuild
everything from source.