Re: A debian/rules target to rebuild pre-built stuff?

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:

> If they use AM_MAINTAINER_MODE and it's "disabled" [1], there's no way
> to check if they aren't in DFSG and/or GPL violation by shipping
> sourceless code.  Forbidding it would at least deal with patching
> autotools output rather than source.

While I like the idea of rebuilding everything from scratch, adding
Makefile rules to do so is horrible.  Automake bungles this miserably and
it produces all sorts of random unnecessary bugs.  With my upstream hat
on, I will *always* use AM_MAINTAINER_MODE.  I'm happy to explicitly call
autogen during the build process, but I will not use that misfeature.