Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 14 octobre 2011 à 11:32 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh a
> écrit :
> > I seem to recall our super duper memory-bloated DEs were not even
> > warning the user when something was screaming blood murder on the
> > emergency, alert and critical priorities in syslog until wheezy...  That
> > absurd negligence has been fixed, AFAIK, at least in KDE4.  I assume
> > gnome is no worse, and also notifies the user.
>
> Certainly not. GNOME will not present to the user information that he
> will not be able to process. It will warn, for example, when hardware is

I see.  You *really* might want to reconsider the two highest priority
levels, at least for the kernel facility.

Unsuitable messages on these levels are considered a bug, and get fixed.
I should know, since I was responsible for one such problem in the
thinkpad-acpi driver.

So, exactly which emergency or alert messages are *so common* and
useless that justifies gnome deciding to conceal _all_ such warnings
from their users?  A rare message the user cannot do anything about is
certainly not an excuse to hide the rare message that the user COULD do
something about, so there must be more to this.

  Henrique Holschuh