Re: A few observations about systemd

Am 22.07.2011 16:59, schrieb Stephan Seitz:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 04:49:28PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
>> The configuration file for rsyslog is /etc/rsyslog.conf resp.
>> /etc/rsyslog.d
>
> Configuration file for the daemon is /etc/default/rsyslog:

The canonical configuration file for the rsyslog daemon is /etc/rsyslog.conf.
/etc/default/rsyslog is more or less deprecated nowadays and I'll probably
remove that in a future upload.

That said, if you want to use /etc/default files in a systemd unit file, you can
include that via EnvironmentFile=/etc/foo/bar [1]. If it is avoidable, you
shouldn't do that though, as /etc/default files are Debian specific and one aim
of systemd is, that unit files are usable cross-distro.

A lot of those /etc/default files have a ENABLED=YES flags, which are not
particularly useful with systemd, as systemd provides proper mechanisms to
enable/disable services in a convenient way.

And to answer your last question: If you want to override a service file (if
there is a good reason for it), you can copy it from /lib/systemd/system to
/etc/systemd/system and the file from /etc will take precedence.
An alternative is to create a file in /etc/systemd/system which includes the
unit file from /lib (via .include [2]) and you overwrite the settings that you want.

Michael

[1] http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/systemd.exec.html
[2] http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/systemd.unit.html
universe are pointed away from Earth?