Re: A few observations about systemd

Am 22.07.2011 15:53, schrieb Stephan Seitz:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 02:59:09PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>> (Ignoring the kFreeBSD side of things for a bit): Why?  As others have
>> pointed out, systemd uses sysvinit scripts just fine.
>
> Well, then why don’t we put systemd in testing as alternate init system
> and release it as alternate init system in wheezy? Those maintainers who
> want to write unit files in addition to init scripts can do this. In
> wheezy + 1 we can use systemd as default init with the requisition to
> still support init scripts for maintainers who don’t want to switch to
> unit files or third party software.

We already have systemd in unstable (and soon testing) and even a handful of
packages shipping native systemd service files. The most prominent ones are
probably rsyslog, dbus, udev and network-manager.
Those packages ship the native systemd unit files along side the "legacy" sysv
init scripts.
systemd copes with that just fine: if a native unit file of the same name
exists, it will take precedence over the sysv init script.

The real question here is: Do we want to ship both a sysvinit and systemd unit
files indefinitely? This means package maintainers would have to keep both
updated (it has to be nothed though, that for the examples above, those files
are shipped upstream) and tested.

This is a valid concern, so the intention to get rid of (manually written) init
scripts, if a package ships a native systemd unit file, is understandable and we
should aim for that.

I see two solutions for that
1/ We "port" systemd to kfreebsd or write a replacement which understands native
systemd unit files.

2/ Use systemd unit files as input and create sysv unit files from that.
This should cover most of the simple daemons without complex requirements and my
guess is that this would be the vast majority. For the remaining services we
could continue shipping both.
Stuff like mounting/fsck/ etc. (basically rcS) would also continue to use sysv
init script on non-systemd systems.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?