Re: A few observations about systemd

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 05:18:56PM +0000, Uoti Urpala wrote:
There are two primary mistakes you're making here.

No, you still don’t understand how Debian works. Debian does *not* always do things that would benefit most of its users. If this was our goal, we would ignore licence problems of any kind and put documentation, firmware, flash and other things back into main. This would help most of our users far more than the switch to systemd. But we don’t do this. So why do you think we should switch to systemd as a default init?

I still don’t see the great advantages of systemd. It has some, yes, but how many people are really affected by the problems of our standard init? I’m using Debian for over ten years (server and desktop) and have never had a problem that would make me change sysvinit. I still don’t use insserv and have file-rc installed on all of my systems. I love it when I can disable a service by writing „exit 0” on top of its init script. So why should I want to switch? And yes, I disable NetworkManager on any system as well. I don’t need it.

I don’t care if systemd is part of Debian, so you can choose to install it, like you can choose between sysklogd, syslog-ng and rsyslog. But I don’t think it is worth to replace sysvinit.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz             E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |