Re: A few observations about systemd

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 04:03:41PM +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>  c) the big problem for them about portability is not so much that i won't
> accept the patches. it's primarily that porting it to non-linux is
> practically impossible. about every line of it is non-portable code
>     i.e. we already use epoll as a main loop, already there you'll have a
> hard time porting this to something else

Seriously?  It's just a poll interface.  How hard could it /possibly/
be to fall back to using plain poll(2) in the mainloop?  It's not
like the interfaces are vastly different.  Both poll(2) and epoll_*(2)
do pretty much exactly the same thing.  epoll might be a better
performing interface, and scale better, but it's not like poll(2) is
broken or particularly difficult to use.  (It's actually far simpler.)

There is plenty of portable software out there doing exactly this.
systemd isn't particularly special in this respect.  Take a look at
apache, for example.

Regards,
Roger

--