Re: A few observations about systemd

Le dimanche 17 juillet 2011 à 13:54 +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek a écrit :
> Systemd is bloated
> Systemd is layered strangely
> Systemd hard-wires special cases
> Systemd deprecates shell scripts

I disagree these are real, practical issues - some of these aren’t even
problems but features.

> Systemd is Linux-specific
> Systemd's author is annoying

Developing for Linux-only is fine, but Lennart has explicitly said that
he wouldn’t remotely consider accepting portability patches, which goes
further than any other piece of free software I had to deal with.

We need one and only one init system in Debian. (Those considering
maintaining several init systems in parallel do not see how stupid,
bloated and error-prone it would be to require all daemon maintainers to
maintain more init scripts than they do now.) I’d like to see systemd as
that one init system, but this challenges the future of kfreebsd.

If kfreebsd is really more than a toy operating system and we want users
to do something with it, the porters need to maintain a kfreebsd branch
of a modern init system (be it upstart or systemd).

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :