Re: A few observations about systemd

Federico Di Gregorio <fog@debian.org> writes:

> On 18/07/11 12:13, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>> Jon Dowland, le Mon 18 Jul 2011 10:35:30 +0100, a écrit :
>>> 1. carry portability patches against systemd locally
>>> 2. support multiple init systems
>>> 3. drop kfreebsd (and HURD and others)
>>
>> 3 basically means dropping "Universal" from Debian, and replace it with
>> "Linux".
>
> Wasn't "universal" as in "runs everywhere" (i.e., on a lot of archs) vs
> as "runs everything" (when a Debian GNU/WinNT?).

The main issue I have with dropping kFreeBSD & HURD would be (apart from
losing two platforms I use - even if for fun only; I don't want to use a
distribution that doesn't allow me to have as much fun as I do now) that
it leads down the path of dropping whatever a vocal upstream decides to
don't care about.

What if next year $upstream_of_an_important_package decides that he only
cares about amd64 and arm? The rest of the world is obsolete anyway...

Would Debian drop i386, ppc, mips and the rest?