Re: packaging-dev meta package

On 11-05-26 at 05:28pm, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> > Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> writes:

> >> My reasoning on these two was that some people probably aren't
> >> interested in switching from cdbs to quilt,
> >
> > You mean from cdbs to using debhelper directly?  cdbs and quilt are
> > orthogonal to each other.
>
> Sorry, yes.
>
> The push toward Source Format 3 with Quilt and DH7 happened around the
> same time that I started doing packaging with any frequency so I'm
> somewhat muddled on the "old way."  Do I recall correctly that there
> was some sort of patch management included in cdbs or am I thinking of
> another tool?

Please - it is not the _version_ of debhelper but whether using
short-form which was _introduced_ at version 7.

I use CDBS for 240+ packages.

Most of them use debhelper 6 to be easier to backport as far back as to
Etch without any changes to source.  Some use debhelper 7, and they can
do so with these two commands:

  echo 7 > debian/compat
  DEB_MAINTAINER_MODE=1 fakeroot debian/rules clean

..but I do not use short-form dh for any of them - that clashes with
CDBS while lacking some of the CDBS features.

None of them (should) use the CDBS-provided single-patchsys - that tool
is deprecated and never was good.

I find a meta-package for development irrelevant: I recommend to simply
install devscripts + whatever specific build-dependencies needed for the
environment you want to work with.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas