Re: Packaging Openstack for Debian: anyone else interested?

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 01:06:00PM +0200, Soren Hansen wrote:
> > But, if I'm not mistaking, there are things that unfortunately *have*
> > to change, like the Ubuntu package using upstart-job.

> I've tried, several times, to explain to you that the dependency on
> upstart-job exists *exclusively* in the binary packages, and it's put
> there by dh_installinit. We don't have a hard dependency on upstart. If
> Debian doesn't deal well with upstart, why does its dh_installinit let
> upstart jobs take precedence over sysvinit style init scripts?

This is my fault, I'm afraid.  The initial proposed plan for integration of
upstart support in Debian called for an "upstart-job" shim that would let
sysvinit handle upstart jobs directly when upstart wasn't installed; this
plan was abandoned, but not before debhelper picked up support for it.  So
currently, all packages that ship upstart jobs in Ubuntu carry a delta
between Debian and Ubuntu (or do some fancy stepping in debian/rules to make
the upstart job visible only under the right circumstances) because the
upstart jobs can't be included in the Debian package.

There is a patch for debhelper that will remove this constraint (i.e., both
upstart jobs and sysvinit scripts will be installed /together/), but there's
further groundwork to be applied in other packages before it should be
included in the Debian archive.