Re: new scripts and patches for devscripts

Am Donnerstag, den 10.03.2011, 14:34 -0500 schrieb James Vega:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> > Also, considering we are talking about Python and not, say, my beloved
> > OCaml, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that among active Debian
> > developers we have nowadays more Python knowledge than Perl knowledge
> > (but I'm already regretting starting this potential troll ...). Back to
> > numbers, according to [1] already in Debian 4.0 the number of SLOC in
> > the archive of Python vs Perl was very close (2.5% vs 2.8%) with a
> > strong growing trend for Python.
> >
> > To conclude with an obvious argument, rewriting useful tools which are
> > known to work and which are currently maintained by a derived distro,
> > when they are already written in a popular language, doesn't seem to be
> > the smartest thing to do to me.
>
> I completely agree that rewriting the tools isn't a useful effort.  I
> was more concerned that there had been significant development done on
> scripts that were intended to be proposed to devscripts and yet were
> intentionally being written in a language that I had previously
> expressed to Benjamin wasn't used in devscripts.

No Python script comes to my mind that was intended to be proposed to
devscripts before the language decision was made.

add-patch and edit-patch were written in Shell because they were
intended to be proposed to devscripts.

*-distro-info (formerly *-release-info) were intended to be a
stand-alone package when I initially wrote them. After the package was
rejected by the ftp-master, I proposed them to devscripts. A while ago I
put it into ubuntu-dev-tools after splitting the script into a library
and a frontend, because I wanted to use the library in another Python
script in ubuntu-dev-tools (sponsor-patch).

> I'm not categorically opposed to having Python scripts in devscripts,
> as I do grok Python.  My resistance was more due to the process around
> the proposed contributions and posing the barrier to acceptance as
> purely an added dependency.
>
> Also, while Benjamin and Stefano have offered to support the potential
> new scripts, how does that help with the existing scripts which Benjamin
> stated concern about?

I was sucked in the ubuntu-dev-tools maintenance due to one script that
I wrote. I assume that may happen with devscripts too.

> Last we spoke, he wasn't comfortable with Perl,
> so while they may support their scripts within devscripts, how much does
> it really buy for the devscripts package as a whole?

I bough a copy of "Learning Perl" (translated into my native language).
That's at least a starting point.

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer