Re: Forwarding bugs upstream

On 01/13/2011 06:19 PM, Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
Hi, Sune:

On Thursday 13 January 2011 00:12:06 Sune Vuorela wrote:
On 2011-01-12, Jesús M. Navarro<jesus.navarro@undominio.net>  wrote:
I have considered to take this one step further. Close bugs reported in
Debian BTS with a severity of important or less that is a bug that
should primarily be fixed upstream.

Will this mean that the problem will somehow disappear from Debian?
Because if it's a problem detected within Debian it's my feeling that it
will have to be tracked within Debian till the problem is in Debian no
more.

No. but it is a way to be honest about teh issue: We are not spending
debian time on fixing it.

Then tag is as such.  It is quite good to be honest: if you are not going to
deal with it, plainly say so, no problem.  But *don't* close them as long as
the problem is still there.

I think it is a huge waste of time to expect DDs to go through 400 bugs just to see if the problem is still there. Just close them outright.

It is no better to have bugs tagged wontfix that are really fixed than to have bugs closed in our BTS and filed upstream.

- John