Re: Forwarding bugs upstream

Hi, John:

On Friday 14 January 2011 16:49:18 John Goerzen wrote:
[...]

> I think it is a huge waste of time to expect DDs to go through 400 bugs
> just to see if the problem is still there.  Just close them outright.

Why the package(s) got 400 bugs to start with?  If the problem is there, then
it's there.  If somebody opened the bug then there was a bug at least on his
opinion which nobody challenged.  If there was a bug, then it need to be
supposed that it will be there till there exists clear indication on the
contrary.  Anything else is awful practice.

> It is no better to have bugs tagged wontfix that are really fixed than
> to have bugs closed in our BTS and filed upstream.

It's no better?  It's probably orders of magnitude better (basically as the
ratio between Debian users versus Debian developers).

What are the chances of me looking for info about a bug I'm not suffering
(because it's already fixed)?  I'd bet nil, so that's the effect of a still
opened -but already corrected bug.

But if I'm suffering a bug and it's already declared on Debian's bug database
I want to know and it'll save not only my time but that of any other people
that will certainly suffer it if I know what to expect about it.  Even you,
as a Debian developer want to avoid me and others like me to open duplicate
bugs.

Cheers.