Re: RFC: Rules for distro-friendly packages

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> I am not a native English speaker so I fail to see how saying
> "living in a narrow-minded world" is rude. Wiktionary does not say
> that narrow-minded is rude. It says "having restricted or rigid
> views" which is exactly what I am expressing here. I should rephrase
> with "Keep your restricted view on what a user is allowed to...". I
> apology for any misunderstanding.

Calling someone else "narrow-minded" or a person with "restricted
view" as opposed to engaging their argument is argumentum ad hominem,
and unnecessarily inflammatory.

Your point would have been better made if you had said the following
instead:

    Unfortunately, I have users that are running very old versions and
    that cannot upgrade it nightly. They need to test the software on
    a preproduction system before trying to upgrade it.

    I suggest we do the following instead [...]

After all, everyone wants everyone else reading to see their point of
view, not get caught up in personal attacks and counter attacks.

Don Armstrong

--
Any excuse will serve a tyrant.
 -- Aesop