Re: Debug output etc, cluttering the terminal

Hello,

Josef Spillner <2005@kuarepoti-dju.net> writes:

> Am Samstag, 14. August 2010, 19:59:50 schrieb Michael Welle:
>> Hello,
>>
>> what is the reason that many applications clutter the terminal with
>> output that is obvisously debug output? Lets take digikam as an
>> example:
>
> In the specific case of Digikam and other KDE applications, you can run
> kdebugdialog to control the debugging messages. In particular, there is a
> convenient switch to turn them off completely.
as said earlier in this thread, switching debug msg off with this dialog
changed (nearly?) nothing for me, except that the changes are reflected in
~/.kde/share/config/kdebugrc.

[...]
> When KDE applications are run in a KDE environment, the debug output is
> normally not an issue because even terminal-using people prefer KRunner's
> autocompletion over bash's and hence don't see the debug
> messages. However, it
> is certainly an upstream goal to make KDE applications play nice in other
> environments both visually and behaviourally.
That's what I mean as I stated that some developers don't seem to
care. 'Aus den Augen, aus dem Sinn' so to speak ;).

> I see your point in bringing this up on this list to end up with distribution-
> wide guidelines, but for pragmatic reasons I think you're better off contacting
> the application or framework maintainers directly. KDE has one debugging
> system, Mozilla has another one, the Linux kernel has yet another one for the
> primary terminal, Java apps have their own local logging policies and so on.
> It would be a huge task trying to unify the policies.
Jepp, you are right. But I guess I'm not passionated enough with this
topic, to push the thing. The output annoys me every time I see it and I
brought it up on this list to see what others think about it and perhaps
make them thinking about it.

Regards
hmw

--
biff4emacsen - A biff-like tool for (X)Emacs
http://www.c0t0d0s0.de/biff4emacsen/biff4emacsen.html