Re: Debug output etc, cluttering the terminal

Hello,

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 08:57:56 +0200
> Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> wrote:
[...]
>> My feeling is that many developers
   ^^^^^^^^^^
>> don't care because most users might not be aware of what is happening.
>
> That is a very cavalier attitude to how developers manage their
> software. If you have any basis for that accusation I suggest you be
> open and name names.
I thought that the used phrase implied that I can't come up with exact
numbers. But you are right, the above statement is a bit broad. Let's
say that some developers don't seem care.

>> They may start the application by mouse clicking and so they don't
>> know about stdout and stderr.
>
> Users may but developers will be looking for that debug output and
> starting the program from the command line explicitly to be able to
> collect it. (Filing a bug will usually result in the user being asked
> to start the program from the command line too.)
If developers want to do so, they should use the debug switch. If users
find a possible bug or are just interested into the output they can use
this switch, too. If the developer has the feeling that it could be
helpful to log every cruft she should use some logging facility. One,
that can be switched off ;).

Regards
hmw

--
biff4emacsen - A biff-like tool for (X)Emacs
http://www.c0t0d0s0.de/biff4emacsen/biff4emacsen.html