.deb package for a library generation

I need to generate a Debian package for a library
As an exercise I tried it with   libvirt .
I am running a Ubuntu 8.10 . and use the libvirt.0.6.1 tar.gz

For the library package I followed the Ubuntu instructions at  :
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Basic
(I first generated  a .deb for the hello program and it  went ok)
For the library I did :
1.  got the tar of libvirt .  made a copy to orig.tar.gz
2. untarred the tared library . cd to the untarred code
3.  there ran :  dh_make -e your.maintainer@address . This created the
debian directory. Got no bad
     commnets    from lintian.

4. ran : debuild -S -us -uc  (to avoid gpg for now)
    That generated the ../*.dsc and ../*.diff.gz  . Looks ok.

5. ran: sudo pbuilder build ../*.dsc  ( changed the debian/rules to have
./configure --with-xen=no otherwise
   it complained about xs_read missing in libxenstore - which exists .
libxen3, libxen3-deb are installed ok)

  But now during the ./confugre run I get the following message :

checking for pkg-config... no
checking libxml2 xml2-config >= 2.5.0 ... configure: error: Could not find
libxml2 anywhere (see config.log for details).
make: *** [config.status] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
pbuilder: Failed autobuilding of package
 -> Aborting with an error
 -> unmounting dev/pts filesystem
 -> unmounting proc filesystem
 -> cleaning the build env

pkg-config is installed and the newest . libxml2 is installed  and newest
(/usr/lib/) and  xml2-config --version gives  2.6.32

so why does the system complain : Could not find libxml2 anywhere  . BTW:
config.log was not generated yet .

Any idea/ help ?

thanks

Zvi Dubitzky
Email:dubi@il.ibm.com
IBM Haifa Research Laboratory    Phone: +972-4-8296182
Haifa, 31905, ISRAEL