Re: .deb package for a library generation

Zvi Dubitzky <DUBI@il.ibm.com> writes:

> I need to generate a Debian package for a library
> As an exercise I tried it with   libvirt .
> I am running a Ubuntu 8.10 . and use the libvirt.0.6.1 tar.gz

This might sound rude but since you are using Ubuntu all around why
don't you ask them for help?

> For the library package I followed the Ubuntu instructions at  :
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Basic
> (I first generated  a .deb for the hello program and it  went ok)
> For the library I did :
> 1.  got the tar of libvirt .  made a copy to orig.tar.gz
> 2. untarred the tared library . cd to the untarred code
> 3.  there ran :  dh_make -e your.maintainer@address . This created the
> debian directory. Got no bad
>      commnets    from lintian.
>
> 4. ran : debuild -S -us -uc  (to avoid gpg for now)
>     That generated the ../*.dsc and ../*.diff.gz  . Looks ok.
>
> 5. ran: sudo pbuilder build ../*.dsc  ( changed the debian/rules to have
> ./configure --with-xen=no otherwise
>    it complained about xs_read missing in libxenstore - which exists .
> libxen3, libxen3-deb are installed ok)
>
>   But now during the ./confugre run I get the following message :

> checking for pkg-config... no
> checking libxml2 xml2-config >= 2.5.0 ... configure: error: Could not find
> libxml2 anywhere (see config.log for details).
> make: *** [config.status] Error 1
> dpkg-buildpackage: failure: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
> pbuilder: Failed autobuilding of package
>  -> Aborting with an error
>  -> unmounting dev/pts filesystem
>  -> unmounting proc filesystem
>  -> cleaning the build env
>
> pkg-config is installed and the newest . libxml2 is installed  and newest
> (/usr/lib/) and  xml2-config --version gives  2.6.32
>
> so why does the system complain : Could not find libxml2 anywhere  . BTW:
> config.log was not generated yet .
>
> Any idea/ help ?

You are using pbuilder to compile your source. That builds the source
ina clean chroot with just the build-essential packages and your
Build-Depends. I'm guessing you did not add any Build-Depends so stuff
will be missing during build.

Also pbuilder cleans up the chroot after build so your config.log gets
removed along with it.

Maybe you should start packaging something simpler than a library and a
bit more complex than hello as an exercise. Build up your skills slowly.

MfG
        Goswin