Re: Stepping the clock during boot

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, John Hasler wrote:
I wrote:
Well, it's a reason.  But note that such backward stepping would only
happen when your clock is really screwed up.

brian writes:
It actually used to happen every reboot of my server, which is why I'm
aware of the dovecot problem.  When ntp (or ntpdate, I'm not sure
which) would correct the time, the clock would move backwards 30
seconds or so and dovecot would crash.

I can add an "X-Starts-Before: dovecot" line to protect dovecot.

I think that ideally chrony would replace hwclock as provider of $time
when present but I don't know how to arrange that...

You could append +chrony to the $time line in /etc/insserv.conf as a local
fix. You might be able to ship a /etc/insserv.conf.d/chrony that to that
effect but I'm unsure whether that would replace or add to the existing
line. I couldn't find documentation on exactly how the /etc/insserv.conf.d
files work.

--
Edward Allcutt